Shadowrun Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who said running the shadows was easy? Dodging bullets, swords, spirits, and spells just to name a few. Elves, Dwarves, Trolls, even the occasional Dragon can make any Shadowrun go bad.

Shadowrun HomeHomeLoose Ends OOC - Page 8 SHADOWCHATLatest imagesSearchRegisterNew RunnersLog in

Loose Ends OOC

Go down 
+5
Azonalanthious
Vanya's Devil
Digital Doom
outpost_2
Dura
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Dura
Mr. Johnson
Mr. Johnson
Dura

Number of posts : 705
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

Loose Ends OOC - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loose Ends OOC   Loose Ends OOC - Page 8 EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 7:54 pm

Pointless, no. More difficult, yes.

The alternative is to get rid of Direct combat spells and double the base drain on mental manipulation spells. Direct combat spells are considered auto-hits and bypass armor... and mind control is pathetically easy. It's just... cheat-y. Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by Durandana on Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Vanya's Devil
Mr. Johnson
Mr. Johnson

Number of posts : 661
Registration date : 2010-03-24

Character sheet
Character Name: Radek
Race: Human
Sex: Male

PostSubject: Re: Loose Ends OOC   Loose Ends OOC - Page 8 EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 8:03 pm

Why not just double drain on all manipulation and direct combat spells?
Back to top Go down
Dura
Mr. Johnson
Mr. Johnson
Dura

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

PostSubject: Re: Loose Ends OOC   Loose Ends OOC - Page 8 EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 8:09 pm

Ehhhhh... I guess... It's still real cheater-y.
Back to top Go down
Vanya's Devil
Mr. Johnson
Mr. Johnson

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Loose Ends OOC   Loose Ends OOC - Page 8 EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 8:14 pm

Yeah, but you think all magic is cheater-y.
Back to top Go down
Dura
Mr. Johnson
Mr. Johnson
Dura

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

PostSubject: Re: Loose Ends OOC   Loose Ends OOC - Page 8 EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 8:24 pm

Ok, extra cheater-y then... >_>
Back to top Go down
Vanya's Devil
Mr. Johnson
Mr. Johnson

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Loose Ends OOC   Loose Ends OOC - Page 8 EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 8:38 pm

More cheater-y than binding half a dozen spirits? More cheater-y than pairing magic with a pain editor so you never have drain modifiers? More cheater-y than boosting your casting dice pool by the force of a bound spirit? Or sustaining a spell that gives you four IPs for less than a tenth the cost to get the same result with a mundane character? I could really go on. In fact, I think direct combat spells are among the least unfair things a mage can do, since its damage maxes out at double your magic rating (around 10-12), which is far far less than a mundane character (Narrow Long burst plus Narrow Short Burst from an LMG hits for 11P + 8P in one round base damage, and that's not including net hits. That's nearly twice the damage output of a mage. A minigun does 15P with a single full burst plus net hits.) Then you add things like different ammo types. Basically, while a direct combat spell has great damage consistency, it has pretty low damage potential.
Back to top Go down
Dura
Mr. Johnson
Mr. Johnson
Dura

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

PostSubject: Re: Loose Ends OOC   Loose Ends OOC - Page 8 EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 8:46 pm

Yeah, more cheater-y. You forget, direct combat spells are instant hit. There is no chance to dodge. And you don't get any armor to block their effects. All kinds of stuff can absorb those bullets, but you toss a manabolt at someone and suddenly all they have to guard against it is their willpower. That's a max of, what, five dice? Because how many characters have more than 5 willpower? Besides maybe dwarves, but even then it's rare.

That's not to say the rest of it isn't cheater-y, mind you. Razz
Back to top Go down
Vanya's Devil
Mr. Johnson
Mr. Johnson

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Loose Ends OOC   Loose Ends OOC - Page 8 EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 9:02 pm

Ah, but most mages will not be very good at dodging bullet fire. Unless they're built to do that, but then the astral threats will eat them alive. A mage, facing a full burst from a minigun, is probably going to be trying to dodge it with no more than ten dice, and that's on full defense. Without full defense, it'd be more like five dice. Against an attack roll that's probably in excess of 16 dice. Sure, he might have armor, but personal armor is not that effective when you're getting slammed by 20P damage with -4 AP. Some mages are less squishy, but it's usually at the expense of being not nearly so good against other mages. For instance, Kit would never survive a spell-slinging contest with another mage.
Back to top Go down
Dura
Mr. Johnson
Mr. Johnson
Dura

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

PostSubject: Re: Loose Ends OOC   Loose Ends OOC - Page 8 EmptySun May 02, 2010 5:27 pm

Sooo... Who has the case? Nobody actually mentioned picking it up, but I'll be nice and assume one of you grabbed it. I'm thinking Lin, most likely. Wink

Anyway, we're back on track now! The time is 6:30 for everyone. No more time discrepancies. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Vanya's Devil
Mr. Johnson
Mr. Johnson

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Loose Ends OOC   Loose Ends OOC - Page 8 EmptySun May 02, 2010 5:36 pm

YAY! ^_^
Back to top Go down
Jondera
Runner
Runner
Jondera

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2010-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Loose Ends OOC   Loose Ends OOC - Page 8 EmptyMon May 03, 2010 9:41 am

Yes, if nobody else grabbed it, Lin would have.
Back to top Go down
Vanya's Devil
Mr. Johnson
Mr. Johnson

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Loose Ends OOC   Loose Ends OOC - Page 8 EmptyTue May 04, 2010 8:34 am

I'm gonna wait for Jon to post coming inside before I post again, since outpost is assuming that Jon comes in while he's speaking.
Back to top Go down
MisterBook
Team Leader
Team Leader
MisterBook

Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2010-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Loose Ends OOC   Loose Ends OOC - Page 8 EmptyTue May 04, 2010 8:42 am

Also, for those wondering what Bruddah's talking about...

circumspect.
circumcision.
Back to top Go down
Vanya's Devil
Mr. Johnson
Mr. Johnson

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Loose Ends OOC   Loose Ends OOC - Page 8 EmptyTue May 04, 2010 8:44 am

Laughing Yeah, I got that. My next post will involve Kit laughing his dreck off.
Back to top Go down
Dura
Mr. Johnson
Mr. Johnson
Dura

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

PostSubject: Re: Loose Ends OOC   Loose Ends OOC - Page 8 EmptyTue May 04, 2010 10:58 am

Let's see, what's going on in he- ....

Neutral
Back to top Go down
Dura
Mr. Johnson
Mr. Johnson
Dura

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

PostSubject: Re: Loose Ends OOC   Loose Ends OOC - Page 8 EmptyWed May 05, 2010 8:24 am

If you want to see if your character has heard of Ellington and Wyatt, go ahead and roll any knowledge skill you think will be relevant. I'll set the threshold based on how well the knowledge skill encompasses the information.

If you don't have any appropriate knowledge skills, you can still default on Intuition. Smile
Back to top Go down
MisterBook
Team Leader
Team Leader
MisterBook

Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2010-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Loose Ends OOC   Loose Ends OOC - Page 8 EmptySun May 09, 2010 10:49 am

Hey, Dura. Do I need a memory check to see if I can remember spotting any uniforms on the two I did see?
Back to top Go down
Dura
Mr. Johnson
Mr. Johnson
Dura

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

PostSubject: Re: Loose Ends OOC   Loose Ends OOC - Page 8 EmptySun May 09, 2010 10:58 am

Nah, you don't need a memory check for that. The dwarf was wearing a gray long-sleeved button-up shirt and some navy blue slacks. Cane had on a gray-blue jumpsuit.
Back to top Go down
Vanya's Devil
Mr. Johnson
Mr. Johnson

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Loose Ends OOC   Loose Ends OOC - Page 8 EmptySun May 09, 2010 8:29 pm

Back to top Go down
Dura
Mr. Johnson
Mr. Johnson
Dura

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

PostSubject: Re: Loose Ends OOC   Loose Ends OOC - Page 8 EmptySun May 09, 2010 8:33 pm

The vials show up as gray shadows, non-living. Kit cannot detect any traces of any auras attached to them.
Back to top Go down
Dura
Mr. Johnson
Mr. Johnson
Dura

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

PostSubject: Re: Loose Ends OOC   Loose Ends OOC - Page 8 EmptyMon May 10, 2010 11:28 am

So, where are you guys standing while discussing all this stuff? What do you have a view of?
Back to top Go down
Vanya's Devil
Mr. Johnson
Mr. Johnson

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Loose Ends OOC   Loose Ends OOC - Page 8 EmptyMon May 10, 2010 1:16 pm

My body is lying on the table, my manifested form is next to it. I was looking at the bottle, but now I'm talking to the others. The window and door are to my left. I'm looking at whoever is currently speaking.
Back to top Go down
Dura
Mr. Johnson
Mr. Johnson
Dura

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

PostSubject: Re: Loose Ends OOC   Loose Ends OOC - Page 8 EmptyMon May 10, 2010 1:41 pm

Er, I meant, where is your rendezvous point? I've been trying to figure it out from the posts but all I can seem to find is that it's a block from the warehouse. So, um... I musta missed it. Embarassed

What building are you guys in? Would it help if I drew up a quick map of the area surrounding the warehouse?
Back to top Go down
Vanya's Devil
Mr. Johnson
Mr. Johnson

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Loose Ends OOC   Loose Ends OOC - Page 8 EmptyMon May 10, 2010 2:24 pm

Oh, that. We're a block south of the warehouse, I believe, though looking back I suddenly realize I'm not too clear on that point either. Embarassed I...guess we're in an old abandoned building? Or something? Neutral
Back to top Go down
Dura
Mr. Johnson
Mr. Johnson
Dura

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

PostSubject: Re: Loose Ends OOC   Loose Ends OOC - Page 8 EmptyMon May 10, 2010 2:57 pm

Haha, okay. It's not important. Just wanted to be sure that I hadn't missed it. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Loose Ends OOC   Loose Ends OOC - Page 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

Loose Ends OOC
Page 8 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next