Shadowrun Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who said running the shadows was easy? Dodging bullets, swords, spirits, and spells just to name a few. Elves, Dwarves, Trolls, even the occasional Dragon can make any Shadowrun go bad.

Shadowrun HomeHomeFavorite Cyberpunk/Shadowrun Authors/Novels  SHADOWCHATLatest imagesSearchRegisterNew RunnersLog in

Favorite Cyberpunk/Shadowrun Authors/Novels

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Jagger
Fixer
Fixer

Number of posts : 1148
Registration date : 2008-12-22

Favorite Cyberpunk/Shadowrun Authors/Novels  Empty
PostSubject: Favorite Cyberpunk/Shadowrun Authors/Novels    Favorite Cyberpunk/Shadowrun Authors/Novels  EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 6:19 pm

Who's your favorite wordslinger, and which of her/his novels?

This is not just a poll thread, I'm looking for reading meterial for the cyberpunk genre. My sole example up to now has been the few Shadowrun core books and supplements that I have. I'd really like to find some actual stories to get the 'feel' of the genre as well as the setting.

So c'mon, fess up, which authors or books get you in the mood to slap on a stim-patch, slip into your FFBA, strap on your concealed weapon, and run the shadows!
Suspect
Back to top Go down
Yogismith
Team Leader
Team Leader
Yogismith

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2012-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Cyberpunk/Shadowrun Authors/Novels    Favorite Cyberpunk/Shadowrun Authors/Novels  EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 6:26 am

William Gibson. A good cyberpunk author.

Nigel Findley. A great Shadowrun writer. Sadly be died back in '95. Though he wrote some great books and source material for SR.
Back to top Go down
No_Name
Mr. Johnson
Mr. Johnson

Number of posts : 620
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Character sheet
Character Name: Big Daddy
Race: Troll
Sex: Male

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Cyberpunk/Shadowrun Authors/Novels    Favorite Cyberpunk/Shadowrun Authors/Novels  EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 12:49 pm

Gibson is a staple of the genre. The neuromancer trilogy is pure cyberpunk: Cybernetics and the matrix

I really enjoy the bridge trilogy as well. it captures the feel of cyberpunk but doesn't have the overabundance of computers or the cybernetics. Of course cyberlimbs and a matrix aren't what really make cyberpunk cyberpunk by the definition of the genre.

on another note there is When Gravity Fails by George Alec Effinger. An amazingly good book, really captures the true nature of cyberpunk but lacks the cyberlimbs as well. There are body mods and brain implants to make up for it though. Think skill wires and persona chips.

Then there is Archangel Protocol by Lyda Morehouse. I thought it was really good. think 4th ed matrix style and add some archangels (really) to the mix and a couple of AIs. Surprisingly well done. The continuations of the series that she wrote aren't as well done but not horrible.

I have notice this happens with writers and RPGs: they write a great book/game and try to build on that. Unfortunately they seem to go to far and loose what they had with the original. plenty of examples of that exist. Look at the matrix (movie) trilogy. First movie: awesome. sequels: steaming piles. Ghostbusters 1: awesome, Ghostbusters 2: steaming pile.
Back to top Go down
ˈeɪtʃˈtiːˈtiːˈpiː
Meat
Meat
ˈeɪtʃˈtiːˈtiːˈpiː

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2012-06-29

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Cyberpunk/Shadowrun Authors/Novels    Favorite Cyberpunk/Shadowrun Authors/Novels  EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 6:11 pm

Third Gibson and second Findley. Just got finished reading 2XS - it's awesome!
Back to top Go down
No_Name
Mr. Johnson
Mr. Johnson

Number of posts : 620
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Character sheet
Character Name: Big Daddy
Race: Troll
Sex: Male

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Cyberpunk/Shadowrun Authors/Novels    Favorite Cyberpunk/Shadowrun Authors/Novels  EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 7:38 pm

crap, how can you forget snow crash by neal stevenson
Back to top Go down
Jagger
Fixer
Fixer

Number of posts : 1148
Registration date : 2008-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Cyberpunk/Shadowrun Authors/Novels    Favorite Cyberpunk/Shadowrun Authors/Novels  EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 8:58 am

Got a few authors to look up at my local library, thanks guys!
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Cyberpunk/Shadowrun Authors/Novels    Favorite Cyberpunk/Shadowrun Authors/Novels  Empty

Back to top Go down

Favorite Cyberpunk/Shadowrun Authors/Novels
Page 1 of 1