Shadowrun Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who said running the shadows was easy? Dodging bullets, swords, spirits, and spells just to name a few. Elves, Dwarves, Trolls, even the occasional Dragon can make any Shadowrun go bad.

Shadowrun HomeHomeTechnomancer troubles SHADOWCHATLatest imagesSearchRegisterNew RunnersLog in

Technomancer troubles

Go down 
+2
Wreck
Forged
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Forged
Meat
Meat

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2011-01-10

Technomancer troubles Empty
PostSubject: Technomancer troubles   Technomancer troubles EmptyMon Jan 10, 2011 2:09 pm

Here are a slew of questions about technomancers

So technomancers don't need a comlink, but they also can't store data on their brain so they need to carry some storage device. T/F?
Do technomancers need any tech to view AR or is it "built in"
Technomancers fall into a trance while in VR? can they stay standing? what if they are in a gunfight, can they still hack on one turn then shoot on another? I hacking while in AR viable/possible?
Can a technomancer give data to a sprite, and allow them to retrieve it later? would this be almost tamper proof storage?
Can a technomancer use his eyes as a live feed? or record his senses at will?

Thank you in advance.
Back to top Go down
Wreck
Fixer
Fixer
Wreck

Number of posts : 1442
Registration date : 2008-12-07

Character sheet
Character Name: (0d3\/\/R3(|{
Race: Human
Sex: Male

PostSubject: Re: Technomancer troubles   Technomancer troubles EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 4:36 am

I can answer some of these from memory, and most of these can be found in the Technomancer supplemental Emergence

Forged wrote:
So technomancers don't need a comlink, but they also can't store data on their brain so they need to carry some storage device. T/F?
So the technomancer carries a comlink for two reasons, data storage and to receive/send messages so that people don't know they are technomancers.

Forged wrote:
Do technomancers need any tech to view AR or is it "built in"
He/she can view AR, but only if he/she has they bought that ability. It's in Emergence

Forged wrote:
Technomancers fall into a trance while in VR? can they stay standing? what if they are in a gunfight, can they still hack on one turn then shoot on another? I hacking while in AR viable/possible?

A technomancer trance is like a Mage going into the Astral. the body goes completely limp. No, he/she can't remain standing, unless something else is holding him/her up. If he/she is in a gunfight, he/she better hope he/she falls behind cover. If he/she has the AR ability (which allows you to also purchase built in smartlink HUD), then yes, he/she would be able to shoot/hack on the fly on an action per action basis.

Forged wrote:
Can a technomancer give data to a sprite, and allow them to retrieve it later? would this be almost tamper proof storage?
Yes, the technomancer with a sprite could in theory use it to hold information, but a sprite can only be maintained for a set duration unless other steps are taken, and that sprite is floating around in the matrix and is susceptible to tracking and hacking.

Forged wrote:
Can a technomancer use his eyes as a live feed? or record his senses at will?
This I'm unsure of, I don't remember there being anything that would directly allow this, but a GM may allow for it.

I'm sure my memory is a bit off, but I'm sure Warez, Gala, or Phantom can make any corrections needed. I differ to them in most instances.
Back to top Go down
Forged
Meat
Meat

PostSubject: Re: Technomancer troubles   Technomancer troubles EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 11:49 am

I can't find the part in emergence that has the ability. The entire book seems to just be stories and background. So without that talent Technomancers can't view Arrow's or any other part of AR, and have to go unconscious just to check their mail? But if they get AR glasses they don't have that problem. Is that how it works? It seems quite limiting compared to a baseline hackers ability to interact with the matrix on multiple levels.
Back to top Go down
wngd_phantom
Fixer
Fixer
wngd_phantom

Number of posts : 1139
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Character sheet
Character Name: Priest Sarah Gaven
Race: ork
Sex: female

PostSubject: Re: Technomancer troubles   Technomancer troubles EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 12:47 pm

It is somewhat limiting, and with SR4, making a technomancer is ungodly expensive, but on the flip side, it can be an excellent opportunity to explore different idea's.

Alright, our 'mancer friend has to carry another commlink just to store data, oh well, thats why we have a photograpic memory quality, or you could get a delta 'ware memory dump storage, they are pretty easy on the essence.

As for Mancer vs. Hacker, it's all about money. A hacker is reliant on money to do anything, and much of his newest gear are more or less illegal, and if caught would land your ass in jail. A mancer on the other hand, can be flat broke, and be the meanest hacker on the face of the earth, lets face it, if all you have on a commlink is basic storage, trideo and mp6's, then what can they arrest you for? Take that analogy one step further, yes you can hack without going into a trance, just as a regular hacker can, you just perform better when jumped into full sim.

As for fire fighting with a technomancer, i'll difer to my character Father Anton. Go hot sim hacking, while the other guys have to take on 4 roto-drones each with Ares MP-LMG's that because of what they are take no recoil, he can set the standard to not being messed with.
Back to top Go down
WearzManySkins
Team Leader
Team Leader
WearzManySkins

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2010-05-09

Character sheet
Character Name: WeaZManySkins

PostSubject: Re: Technomancer troubles   Technomancer troubles EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 2:23 pm

Yes a TM will need some form of offline storage ie comm link etc.
Doing VR they will not be able to move etc unless you have exoskeleton and rig it.

Hacker VS Technomancer....in the beginning the Hacker can have the edge but later the Techmancer will will progress beyond him.
BUT since WAR! has come out with the MilSpec gear, that is no longer true. The Hacker can easily outpace the Technomancer, costly yes but doable.

A Hacker can have more matrix actions, greater response, and other nice things/enhancements that a Technomancer can not have.

Only real difference is the Technomancer is not tied/attached to his/her gear
Back to top Go down
Forged
Meat
Meat

PostSubject: Re: Technomancer troubles   Technomancer troubles EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 10:40 pm

Thanks for the help. I was really worried that I needed to have half the hardware a hacker needs. TM's do not need the AR glasses to do light hacking, but they do need it to use a smartlink.
Back to top Go down
Wreck
Fixer
Fixer
Wreck

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Technomancer troubles   Technomancer troubles EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 11:45 pm

Check Runner's Companion then.
Back to top Go down
XtechnomancerX

XtechnomancerX

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-03-18

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

PostSubject: Re: Technomancer troubles   Technomancer troubles EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 2:27 am

I was lookin on the web to see if technomancers can see AR without the aid of AR glasses or a Qualities.
1) i couldnt find any qualities in any of the books that say technomancers can see AR
2) it would be lame that someone that is one with the Matrix cant do something as simple as seeing AR, they can see Sprites without AR glasses cant they?

So in my reading i came across this and from my understanding they can see AR as if they had AR glasses on, its just a trick of the eyes or the mind.

The Biological PAN
Since technomancers are essentially organic computers with neural and bioelectric wiring (including a sim module), they form their own nodes when interacting or interfacing with the Matrix or other electronic devices. This “biological node” is part of the technomancer’s living persona and is characterized by the four Matrix attributes: Firewall, System, Response, and Signal (p. 233, SR4).
Unlike peripherals, standard nodes, and nexi (Nodes, p. 55), biological nodes are not “places of the Matrix” with addresses and access ID numbers, and can neither run programs nor store data.
They are visual and virtual representations created by the technomancer himself as subconscious aids to deal with data transfers, “node scripts,” and subscription of wireless devices.

The key word i saw as visual representations

Last edited by XtechnomancerX on Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ghostmaker
Corprate CEO
Corprate CEO
Ghostmaker

Number of posts : 3114
Registration date : 2009-05-13

Character sheet
Character Name: ix Sama
Race: Elf

PostSubject: Re: Technomancer troubles   Technomancer troubles EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 5:59 am

Hey wreck i have emergency lol where are those ability's page please i have a TM and could really use the help all i got is background info for GM's mostly heeelp Shocked
Back to top Go down
Wreck
Fixer
Fixer
Wreck

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Technomancer troubles   Technomancer troubles EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 11:13 am

XtechnomancerX is right. I double checked all of my stuff and AR is only viewable through gear. However, The Advanced Complex Forms are in Unwired, not Emergence. Although, Emergence is a great book for ideas on how to play a Technomancer and good BG concepts.

The Advanced CFs are on page 136 of Unwired.

Specifically, I recommend Shield, which acts like an Armor Progam, thus doubling your Technomancer's matrix defense.

Smartlink is another interesting CF, and you only need it at R1 (there are no benifits to raising the rating above 1). The nice thing is that it removes the need to have Smartlink in you glasses/goggles/contacts. You will still need it in the weapon.

I don't see why a GM wouldn't allow you to Buy AR as a CF.

There are rules for taking physical actions while still in Full VR for hackers, those rules should also apply to Technomancers. Check out the Wireless World section in the main book.

Unwired also has a lot of pointers on playing a Technomancer (or a hacker) in general, so it is worth buying.
Back to top Go down
XtechnomancerX

XtechnomancerX

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-03-18

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

PostSubject: Re: Technomancer troubles   Technomancer troubles EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 11:33 am

I really think AR for a technomancer should be a given and not something they have to buy. When a character gets the technomancers Quality they should be able to see sprites and AR alike. I was looking at the pic of the technomancer in the core book and u see him looking at sprites and if u look more in the background it looks like a AR icon or some AR type of thing. it looks like a planet with a dragon wrapped around it. that dont look like any sprite i have seen in the books , but i could be wrong. The AR the technomancer would be far diff then a hackers, while a hacker can see his email, talk to his mother and order a pizza , a technomancer can see ad signs, maybe a moving sign of a stripclub,but he can also check his email but he wont see it he would more like know whats its saying. its not that great but it is the bare basics.

Last edited by XtechnomancerX on Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ghostmaker
Corprate CEO
Corprate CEO
Ghostmaker

Number of posts : 3114
Registration date : 2009-05-13

Character sheet
Character Name: ix Sama
Race: Elf

PostSubject: Re: Technomancer troubles   Technomancer troubles EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 11:41 am

thanks guys i needed that info pronto lata
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Technomancer troubles   Technomancer troubles Empty

Back to top Go down

Technomancer troubles
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Shadowrun Online :: Library :: Archives :: Archives - :: Questions and Answers-
Jump to: