Shadowrun Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who said running the shadows was easy? Dodging bullets, swords, spirits, and spells just to name a few. Elves, Dwarves, Trolls, even the occasional Dragon can make any Shadowrun go bad.

Shadowrun HomeHomeMy first Mage build. Char OP please. SHADOWCHATLatest imagesSearchRegisterNew RunnersLog in

My first Mage build. Char OP please.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
malady305
Meat
Meat

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2010-07-29

Character sheet
Character Name: Link
Race: Human
Sex: Male

My first Mage build. Char OP please. Empty
PostSubject: My first Mage build. Char OP please.   My first Mage build. Char OP please. EmptySun Oct 02, 2011 3:01 pm

The following is my first attempt at building a 400BP mage character. Following the rules in SR4 and Street Magic, I created a custom magical tradition, loosely based upon the listing for Chaos Mage, but with my own flair. The end resulting tradition that I refer to as Chaos Magic is essentially a mix of Chaos Magic from the sourcebooks and the Jedi order cheers The character is essentially a pure combat spellcaster, with some pistol ability thrown in for fun. I have included the stats as well as the background info on the Chaos Magic tradition. I also created a magical group that once the character earns some Karma he plans to join, called the Knights of Tesla. As this is my first magical character, please lend your opinions on where I went right or wrong. Thanks!

Streetname: “Shorty”
Name: Nigel Yoda (I know I know, this is still pending lol)
Race: Dwarf (-25 BP)
Type: Chaos Mage

Attributes:
Body 3
Agility 3
Reaction 4
Strength 3
Charisma 3
Intuition 3
Logic 4 / 7 (cerebral booster 3)
Willpower 5
Magic 6 / 5 (-1 from bioware)
Edge 3
(375 BP - 255 = 180 BP)

Essence = 5 (6-1 bioware= 5)
Initiative = 7 +hits

Qualities:
+Toughness [+1 Die to Dmg Resistance Tests]
+Magician
-Sensitive Neural Structure
-Records on File: Aztechnology
-Mild Addiction: Psyche
-Condition Geas: High on Pysche

Active Skills:
Banishing 3
Spellcasting 5 (+2 Combat)
Counterspelling 4
Assensing 3
Data Search 3
Pistols 3
Dodge 3
Perception 4
Etiquette 3

Knowledge Skills = (27 Free Pts.):
(Still havent picked these yet. Any thoughts?)

Spells (Max of 10 spells [SC x 2])
-Combat: Clout, Manabolt, Lightning Ball
-Detection: Detect Enemies
-Health: Increase Reflexes (+1 initiative pass and 1 initiative per force (thresh 2-4))
-Illusion: Improved Invisibility, Hot Potato
-Manipulation: Influence, Levitate

Language(s): (N),

Resources:: $125,000 (-25 BP)

Lifestyle: ?

Bioware:
Trauma Damper
Platelet Factories
Cerebral Booster 3

Commlink:
HW: Novatech Airware (3/3) [$1250]
Programs: ?

Weapons:
(Heavy Pistol) 2 x Colt Government 2066 --- (dmg=5p / AP = -1 / rc 1 / 14 rds) [$2580]
---> w/ smartgun (+2 atk), silencer, concealable [shoulder] holster, 6x spare clips) 6R
Ammo:

Foci:
Spellcasting Focus (Combat)
Counterspelling Focus (Combat)

Armor: $600
Armor Vest 6/4 [$600] (This will be changed later)

Gear:$1240
Gas Mask [$200]
5 x Fake Licenses
1 x Fake SIN 4 :

Contacts:
Arlo Florian [4/5]
Master Tesla Knight, Order of Tesla (as talismonger)

Base Tradition: Chaos Magic
Concept:
Chaos mages believe that magic is wholly based in the natural world. To the chaos mage, magic is all about hacking the hidden source code of the world to manipulate the natural powers therein. As such, they dedicate their lives to the study and understanding of these forces and energies. Chaos mages continually research the theories and laws of magic and nature, seeking a deeper understanding of the structure of the universe. They believe that while all living creatures possess a connection to the world’s energy, not every creature is capable of becoming a chaos mage. The only ways in which this connection can develop is through genetics or by being infused by a master chaos mage following years of study.

In general, Chaos Mages subscribe to various elements of other magical traditions and practices in their study of magic. The nature of such practices tends to produce fiercely independent mages. There are some groups which have formed over time, but they are few in number and in membership slots. But throughout the millenia, there has been one sect of chaos mages who were somewhat communal in nature. Their ancient history is unclear, having been destroyed or lost to time, but most members believe that an ancient dragon called Tesla, having been injured in a fierce battle, confided in a powerful mage the secrets of chaos. Not only did the drake pass on his theoretical knowledge, but also his knowledge of how to imbue oneself with chaos to enhance their fighting abilities and to use the chaos to sense danger. In accpeting the tutelage of the great dragon, the mage swore an eternal oath of altruism, swearing to forever use his wisdom to fight against the evils of anger, greed, hate, and fear, and all those who sought to use magic to achieve them. This mage devoted his life to the development of this knowledge and the fulfilment of his oath. He traveled the world, in search of other beings of power, looking to find someone worthy enough to share in his gifts. From then on, the ancient knowledge was passed on from Master to Apprentice, eventually coming to be known as The Order of Tesla. The members of the order having been successfully initiated became known as the Knights of Tesla, or simply as Tesla Knights. In order to become a Tesla Knight, a mage must first be approached by a Master Tesla Knight. Once such relationship has been developed and sufficient study and training has been completed, the Master assigns the Apprentice his or her initiation rites, or Trials.
Strictures: Belief, Exclusive Membership, Fraternity

Back to top Go down
Faust
Team Leader
Team Leader

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2011-10-01

Character sheet
Character Name: Faust
Race: Human Drake

PostSubject: Re: My first Mage build. Char OP please.   My first Mage build. Char OP please. EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 12:45 am

Okay, malady, two major things, both involving your tradition:

What is the Drain stat? (One mental stat+Willpower)
On a 400 point build, you can only spend 200 on your stats, so, make sure if you are showing your spending, you list the cost for your Edge and Magic separately.

Now for the little stuff, there's a Quality in the Runner's companion that you might be interested in called Made Man. I've read it over, and it's basically saying you work for a group and can use them to find or unload items. Good Knowledge skills for a combat mage? Magical Threats for starters, because you always want to know what the evil thing trying to kill you is, and how to kill it first.
Back to top Go down
PresentPresence
Team Leader
Team Leader
PresentPresence

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2010-07-31

Character sheet
Character Name: яөъөсөр
Race: Human After All
Sex: French

PostSubject: Re: My first Mage build. Char OP please.   My first Mage build. Char OP please. EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 12:59 am

I noticed that you did not choose to use summoning. If that's the case, you might consider just becoming an Aspected Magician towards Spellcasting. it would save you the effort of writing up a spirit list.
Back to top Go down
PresentPresence
Team Leader
Team Leader
PresentPresence

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: My first Mage build. Char OP please.   My first Mage build. Char OP please. EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 1:16 am

First off, I'd like to say that the magical traditions presented in Street Magic are meaningless fluff. Yep, you heard me. The crunch attached to it seems to be totally random. Hermetics and Shamans are something that have been in the Shadowrun history since the first edition, however. Therefore, I think custom traditions are the way to go when you want something different. That being said, I'm not sure what's going on with yours. For starters, not to put my nerd hat on or anything, but the Jedi Order has always been very...ordered. I am not sure how you are combining that with Chaos magic. To be honest, it seems like you want to take the Mystic Crusaders, turn them in to "Jedi", and utilize Logic with Cerebral Boosters for a cheap drain stat. If your focus is to create a large drain resist pool, Logic can be a good choice, but why do you have it at 4? My personal recommendation would be to dump some Strength. Also, as a GM, I don't think I would let you take Psyche as a Geas and not have it be an integral focus of your character, as well as only having a Mild addiction to it. Remember that addiction increases your tolerance, so casting a spell would essentially cost you 400 nuyen a day at Mild addiction and 800 a day at only Moderate. One more thing! Cerebral Boosters availability is rating x 6, so R3 requires the Restricted Gear quality.

My biggest question, though, is why you want to sling combat spells and shoot pistols? A magician's mind is his gun, and you don't have to check it at the door!
Back to top Go down
Faust
Team Leader
Team Leader

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2011-10-01

Character sheet
Character Name: Faust
Race: Human Drake

PostSubject: Re: My first Mage build. Char OP please.   My first Mage build. Char OP please. EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 1:29 am

The gun's bit easy: When people KNOW you're a spell-slinger, they get surprised when you shoot accurately, and besides, a gun leaves no astral traces.
Back to top Go down
PresentPresence
Team Leader
Team Leader
PresentPresence

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: My first Mage build. Char OP please.   My first Mage build. Char OP please. EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 1:44 am

If your sole focus is to resist drain via a Logic tradition, you're going to want to:
Be a dwarf.
Get SURGE II for Metagnetic Improvement (Logic)
Get Restricted Gear for your Cerebral Boosters
(Optional: You have 5 BP left for your max positive qualities limit. Consider another RG for a R4 power focus or choosing a Mentor Spirit)
Softcap Logic and Willpower at 6 (If you want to hardcap, hardcap Willpower, but one of your drugs will be useless then)
Get CB R3 alpha, Trauma Dampers standard, Platelet Factories standard, and EPE Daredrenaline. Don't worry about the thrillseeking test - the tweak itself gives a bonus to it.
Speedball Psyche, Zen, Deepweed, and Nitro. Yeah, you're gonna get addicted, but if they try to make you go to rehab, just say no, no, no.

Resist Drain: Logic 6 + CB 3 + Psyche 1 + Willpower 6 + Zen 1 + Deepweed 1 + Nitro 2 + Daredrenaline 1 = 21

Assuming you're overcasting, if you have to face damage, it will be physical. If you take 2 or more, it is reduced by one. In addition, one point of P is shifted to S. In any event, you won't be mentally affected by the damage for 10x1d6 minutes, at which point you will probably pass out. By then, you've probably either failed at combat and died or have been successful and need to take a break anyway. If you're not ovecasting, drop all of this crap and spend the points elsewhere.

And you can remove those pesky astral signatures given a little time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My first Mage build. Char OP please.   My first Mage build. Char OP please. Empty

Back to top Go down

My first Mage build. Char OP please.
Page 1 of 1