Shadowrun Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who said running the shadows was easy? Dodging bullets, swords, spirits, and spells just to name a few. Elves, Dwarves, Trolls, even the occasional Dragon can make any Shadowrun go bad.

Shadowrun HomeHomeCerebral Booster for hermetic mages SHADOWCHATLatest imagesSearchRegisterNew RunnersLog in

Cerebral Booster for hermetic mages

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Stampede
Runner
Runner

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2010-07-04

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

Cerebral Booster for hermetic mages Empty
PostSubject: Cerebral Booster for hermetic mages   Cerebral Booster for hermetic mages EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 8:59 am

Hi there!

Just a short question: If a hermetic mage has a cerebral booster implant increasing his logic attribute (and reducing his magic attribute), is the augmented logic attribute used for resisting drain or the natural?

(cerebral booster see page 339 core rule book,
drain see page 167, 174 core rule book)

I could not find anything prohibiting the use of a cerebral booster for resisting drain but I fear I missed sth. ;-).

Yours
Stampede
Back to top Go down
Gala
Corprate CEO
Corprate CEO
Gala

Number of posts : 3061
Registration date : 2010-01-27

Character sheet
Character Name: Gala
Race: Human
Sex: Female

PostSubject: Re: Cerebral Booster for hermetic mages   Cerebral Booster for hermetic mages EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 9:12 am

Yes, the Cerebral Booster would augment the Logic Attribute used for calculating the Drain Resistance pool. However, you would lose an entire point of magic for the fraction of a point you lose for inputting the Cyberware. Most mages (though not all) do not believe that the sacrifice is worth the price.
Back to top Go down
Stampede
Runner
Runner

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

PostSubject: Re: Cerebral Booster for hermetic mages   Cerebral Booster for hermetic mages EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 9:18 am

The same dilema for the player behind the character: more dice to resist drain, or higher magic attribute to cast and to get drain stun damage. It would fit the background I have in mind, though...

I'll think it through. At least I'm reassured that it would work the way I thougt.
Back to top Go down
Gala
Corprate CEO
Corprate CEO
Gala

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Cerebral Booster for hermetic mages   Cerebral Booster for hermetic mages EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 9:22 am

From a "Background" perspective, it is not hard to imagine that the Mage in question got the Cerebral Booster as a teenager, or young adult, before becoming aware of the latent magical potential. There isn't really any good description in the back story about how most characters discover their magical abilities; so if you don't already know from childhood, it's not hard to imagine how a Cerebral Booster would assist in school, or at a job. And once it's in, it doesn't do much good to remove it... The magic is already lost.
Back to top Go down
Stampede
Runner
Runner

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

PostSubject: Re: Cerebral Booster for hermetic mages   Cerebral Booster for hermetic mages EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 11:36 am

Just another question regarding magicians: Is it dangerous for a magician to use stimulant patches (compared to mundane using them)? I remember sth. like that from Shadowrun 3 but I'm not sure. And I didn't found sth. like that in the SR4 rules. Anyone knows sth. about this?
Back to top Go down
Gala
Corprate CEO
Corprate CEO
Gala

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Cerebral Booster for hermetic mages   Cerebral Booster for hermetic mages EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 11:39 am

Now that you mention it, I remember that too, but I haven't run into it in SR4. I will nose around and see what I can sniff up
Back to top Go down
Ethereal
Meat
Meat
Ethereal

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2010-07-19

Character sheet
Character Name: Niku
Race: Elf
Sex: Male

PostSubject: Re: Cerebral Booster for hermetic mages   Cerebral Booster for hermetic mages EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 11:02 am

SR4 there is no penalties for stims or drugs like there use to be. The only times they mention magic loss now is through Critical Glitches, essense, or poor medical assistance upon near death.

Well if you spent the .6 essence for the lvl 3's, get Trauma Dampner and Platelet Factories. Both of those will reduce and allow for some absorption of the variable factors of casting drain. As well as worth 6 Body in terms of dice and guranteed hits to absorb damage externally delt.

Also, if drain really matters you can use Fetishes with your spells to add 2 dice. Blood fetishes add another 2 dice for drain...but expect bad reactions from most who can identify them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cerebral Booster for hermetic mages   Cerebral Booster for hermetic mages Empty

Back to top Go down

Cerebral Booster for hermetic mages
Page 1 of 1