Shadowrun Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who said running the shadows was easy? Dodging bullets, swords, spirits, and spells just to name a few. Elves, Dwarves, Trolls, even the occasional Dragon can make any Shadowrun go bad.

Shadowrun HomeHomeA spell best left unknown... SHADOWCHATLatest imagesSearchRegisterNew RunnersLog in

A spell best left unknown...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Dr_Cynic
Runner
Runner
Dr_Cynic

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2010-01-16

Character sheet
Character Name: Alex Roaring Bear
Race: Troll
Sex: Male

A spell best left unknown... Empty
PostSubject: A spell best left unknown...   A spell best left unknown... EmptySun Feb 07, 2010 4:35 pm

This is a spell introduced by my GM a while back, but was used only once, as the mage who used it was killed post haste. Tell me what you think.

Blood Chaos
Type: M/P(See Details) Range: LOS Damage: P Duration: I DV: (F/2+6)
Bloody Rain
Type: M/P(See Details) Range: LOS(A) Damage: P Duration: I DV: (F/2+10)

These spells are blood magic, and as such will do Physical damage, no matter the force used. These spells use the inherent energy in one's blood to create a volatile explosion. The target may survive such an attack, but the damage to the system will undoubtedly cause long term damage and essence loss. If the target does not survive, then they will explode, damaging nearby people. This effectively turns people into living bombs.
The damage done to those within the blast radius, and the blast radius itself, is dependent on the people used. The radius is (essence+Magic)*2 meters. So someone with 5 essence and 4 magic will have a blast radius of 18 meters. Those with an essence less than 1 are unaffected by this spell, as there is too little for the spell to use.
The damage done is essence*magic/2P, so if the above person is used, then people and objects nearby will be delt 10P damage for every point of force used in the spell. This spell was discovered in an extremely old manuscript written in Sperethiel, and if used in a earthdawn crossover, was written by blood elves.

Comments, questions, and such are welcomed.
Back to top Go down
Gala
Corprate CEO
Corprate CEO
Gala

Number of posts : 3061
Registration date : 2010-01-27

Character sheet
Character Name: Gala
Race: Human
Sex: Female

PostSubject: Re: A spell best left unknown...   A spell best left unknown... EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 9:59 am

That is an interesting spell, and could be a very valuable attack spell for a blood magician. If I were GMing, I would increase the DV. As a relative reference, the Napalm spell has a DV of F/2+9; but the Napalm spell does not cause inherent secondary explosions, which would suggest that the Blood Chaos and Blood Rain, which are intended to cause secondary explosions, are both more powerful, and more dangerous. Similarly, the increase in power, and the increase in difficulty in directly affecting biochemistry, should translate to higher DV. I would, were I GM, require a DV of F/2+8 for Blood Chaos, and F/2+13 for Blood Rain.
This would be particularly acceptable because anyone who is willing to cast a spell like this would also be willing to use the Sacrifice metamagic in order to reduce the drain.
Back to top Go down
Line
Meat
Meat
Line

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2010-01-21

Character sheet
Character Name: Ai'leo

PostSubject: Re: A spell best left unknown...   A spell best left unknown... EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 12:19 pm

Not to mention that the second the energy starts to affect something else living, the very nature of the aura would require that it be resisted. Any primary effect can be simply saved against, but magic of that type-- in going against the inherent nature of a body at rest-- would require it be contested. That is much more akin to a transformation manipulation (Shapechange, etc) cast on a target.

So while the casting mage may be able to set the target at which the spell is to be resisted (better chance of success, but lower damage) or vice versa, whether or not the energy can affect a metahuman target -- or living target-- is dependent on the target resisting the (admittedly physical) change.

The spillover of the damage done to a body would likely translate into area damage (treat the exploding body as a grenade, with similar power decrease?) at a rate of 1power per 1meter..

I'm not certain on the numbers, since all of my knowledge is from 3rd ed, but disregarding physics, even with magic, is not recommended. I'm betting that's why most of the magic listed in the standard book has elemental effects that have a chance to cause secondary damage (or did, at least) on their own, rather than relying upon a magical charge.

I would definitely require the Sacrifice Metamagic for this.
Back to top Go down
Gala
Corprate CEO
Corprate CEO
Gala

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: A spell best left unknown...   A spell best left unknown... EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 1:12 pm

Yeah, a body that doesn't directly resist biochemical changes? I don't think so. And good call on the Physics argument as well. In SR, the magicians describe their magic as "not defying the laws of physics, but augmenting them." With that in mind, Line's comments bring forth a whole new set of character requirements that would have to be met; and reinforce my claim that the DV was too low on the spell as written.
Back to top Go down
Dr_Cynic
Runner
Runner
Dr_Cynic

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: A spell best left unknown...   A spell best left unknown... EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 2:36 pm

This spell was hastily made and was only used once. And remember, there is no stun, it's physical drain no matter the force.
Back to top Go down
Dr_Cynic
Runner
Runner
Dr_Cynic

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: A spell best left unknown...   A spell best left unknown... EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 12:34 pm

Code:
Blood Chaos
Type: M/P(See Details) Range: LOS Damage: P Duration: I DV: (F+8)
Bloody Rain
Type: M/P(See Details) Range: LOS(A) Damage: P Duration: I DV: (F+12)

These spells are blood magic, and as such will do Physical damage, no matter the force used. These spells use the inherent energy in one's blood to create a volatile explosion. The target may survive such an attack, but the damage to the system will cause a lot of pain and damage. The target makes a willpower+Body(+counterspell if used) resist test. The target will be dealt 12P damage, unresisted by armor. If they die, then they explode.

The explosion damage is equal to the damage done to the target, -2/m. Those with an essence less than 1 are unaffected by this spell, as there is too little for the spell to use.

Alright, made some edits. Tell me what you think.

Last edited by Roaring Bear on Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:12 pm; edited 8 times in total
Back to top Go down
Gala
Corprate CEO
Corprate CEO
Gala

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: A spell best left unknown...   A spell best left unknown... EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 2:22 pm

That's pretty much the most powerful spell ever written... I can't imagine any GM in the world allowing a spell like this in his/her game.
Back to top Go down
Dr_Cynic
Runner
Runner
Dr_Cynic

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: A spell best left unknown...   A spell best left unknown... EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 2:28 pm

I screwed up. It's just 20P. Not for each net hit. And I reduced the damage per hit. If you have any ideas as to how to make it better, let me know. It's a work in progress.
Back to top Go down
Gala
Corprate CEO
Corprate CEO
Gala

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: A spell best left unknown...   A spell best left unknown... EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 2:41 pm

Ok, now it is theoretically survivable, but only theoretically. But let's put it this way: The average Troll Runner, with maxed out body, can only have a prayer of surviving the spell if he uses Edge on the body resist. And then, it is only a prayer. The average Human Runner, even with maxed out body and maxed out Edge doesn't really have a prayer at all. The only way to survive this spell as a Human Runner is by burning an edge point.

Now, that only takes into account the primary damage of the spell. Now we have to consider the secondary effects. First, the spell then does catastrophic damage to nearby characters/npcs. Second, if the character somehow miraculously survives, they now have to factor in a significant essense loss as a result of the who-knows-what-the-GM-was-thinking-when-he-allowed-this-effect effect on the spell.

For a spell this powerful, I would rule that damage is equal to Force+(net hits), and that the secondary effect is equal to [force+(net hits)]/2. That way, the magician has an lower statistical chance of survival than his targets. Then only extremely powerful magicians, or magicians using the sacrifice metamagic would be able to do any significant damage with the spell. I would also rule that there is no essense drain.
Back to top Go down
Dr_Cynic
Runner
Runner
Dr_Cynic

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: A spell best left unknown...   A spell best left unknown... EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Alright, I made the changes, but I'm not sure about the force+(net hits)]/2 for the explosion. Maybe Force+Net Hits-body. Which would mean someone with very thick skin could possibly hold in the explosion. What do you think?

EDIT: Alright, I changed the explosion damage to damage done to target-2, -2/meter.
Back to top Go down
Gala
Corprate CEO
Corprate CEO
Gala

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: A spell best left unknown...   A spell best left unknown... EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 3:02 pm

Well, thick skin is not the same thing as body, though I know what you mean. Perhaps (body+armor)/2?
Back to top Go down
Dr_Cynic
Runner
Runner
Dr_Cynic

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: A spell best left unknown...   A spell best left unknown... EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 3:13 pm

Code:
Blood Chaos
Type: M/P(See Details) Range: LOS Damage: (Force*2)P Duration: I DV: (F+8)
Bloody Rain
Type: M/P(See Details) Range: LOS(A) Damage: (Force*2)P Duration: I DV: (F+12)

These spells are blood magic, and as such will do Physical damage, no matter the force used. These spells use the inherent energy in one's blood to create a volatile explosion. The target may survive such an attack, but the damage to the system will cause a lot of pain and damage. The target makes a willpower+Body(+counterspell if used) resist test. The target will be dealt 12P damage, unresisted by armor. If they die, then they explode.

The explosion damage is equal to the damage done to the target, -2/m. Those with an essence less than 1 are unaffected by this spell, as there is too little for the spell to use.

Ok. With the help of Durandana and Gala, I believe I've got it finished.

Last edited by Roaring Bear on Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gala
Corprate CEO
Corprate CEO
Gala

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: A spell best left unknown...   A spell best left unknown... EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 3:41 pm

I am not entirely sure I like how it has turned out, from either side of the equation. But I can't put my finger on precisely what it is that I don't like about it... but, forgive me, I am tired after a long day. I will take a fresh look at it in the morning, and see what I see then. Maybe I will like it better, or maybe I will have better suggestions...
Back to top Go down
LeeRain

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-09-29

PostSubject: Re: A spell best left unknown...   A spell best left unknown... EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 3:01 pm

I would definitely require the Sacrifice Metamagic for this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A spell best left unknown...   A spell best left unknown... Empty

Back to top Go down

A spell best left unknown...
Page 1 of 1