Shadowrun Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who said running the shadows was easy? Dodging bullets, swords, spirits, and spells just to name a few. Elves, Dwarves, Trolls, even the occasional Dragon can make any Shadowrun go bad.

Shadowrun HomeHomeCharacter Creation - Proper Order - Page 3 SHADOWCHATLatest imagesSearchRegisterNew RunnersLog in

Character Creation - Proper Order

Go down 
+13
Gluttony
Mulrennan
LeeRain
Damian Blackwolfe
Sam Drake
WearzManySkins
Kesslan
Vanya's Devil
Bear
Dura
Paradox
T_Hawk
Gala
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Wreck
Fixer
Fixer
Wreck

Number of posts : 1442
Registration date : 2008-12-07

Character sheet
Character Name: (0d3\/\/R3(|{
Race: Human
Sex: Male

Character Creation - Proper Order - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Character Creation - Proper Order   Character Creation - Proper Order - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 1:56 pm

I don't think a player can play a character well who (s)he doesn't connect with in some way. Additionally, unless the player is completely without personality h(er)is perception of the events will color everything, no matter how much that player tries to stay "in character." It's just not possible.

That being said, I interpret your meaning as being closer to, "To what extent do you super inflate (or deflate?) a portion of your personality or interests for a character?"

My answer?

A lot, some, totally made up (but colored by my interpretation).

Is that confusing enough?
Back to top Go down
Jagger
Fixer
Fixer

Number of posts : 1148
Registration date : 2008-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Character Creation - Proper Order   Character Creation - Proper Order - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 2:51 pm

@Wreck
Spoken like a true shadow denizen: admit nothing, deny everything, and make 'em think you know what you're talking about while totally misleading 'em!
Razz

(only joking, Arvo, Wreck is one of the 'good' guys around here Very Happy)
Back to top Go down
Wreck
Fixer
Fixer
Wreck

Number of posts : 1442
Registration date : 2008-12-07

Character sheet
Character Name: (0d3\/\/R3(|{
Race: Human
Sex: Male

PostSubject: Re: Character Creation - Proper Order   Character Creation - Proper Order - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 3:57 pm

"Good" is such a relative term. I'd go more with... Neutral. I do good things & bad things... that way it all evens out. Thus nirvana should be achieved any day now.
Back to top Go down
arvo

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2011-12-05

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

PostSubject: Re: Character Creation - Proper Order   Character Creation - Proper Order - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 4:22 am

Wreck wrote:
"Good" is such a relative term. I'd go more with... Neutral. I do good things & bad things... that way it all evens out. Thus nirvana should be achieved any day now.

That would work out well. They've been short of a lead singer for some time now. Wink
Back to top Go down
Nycidian Grey

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2012-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Character Creation - Proper Order   Character Creation - Proper Order - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 12:14 am

I go about creating characters a bit differently than most people it seems.

Here's how I build a character usually.

First I ask myself, what sounds fun to play? after this question I very rarely come up with a character concept that would fit in to 500 bp let alone 400, but that doesn't mean I give up. Now I have my goal and that's where I start from. After that I need to figure out the minimum character aspects that set me up to get to that goal.

Lets give an example, I think playing a Technomancer Rigger Smuggler with his/her own Custom LAV and independent facilities to maintain that LAV and accompanying drones would be awesome. Unfortunately you can see how that character concept is quite unlikely to be buildable. However, If you look at the concept you can see that the major limiting factor is money. With that in mind setting up the character could be fairly easy if we have the back story be that he/she was already a smuggler though not independent who somehow got ousted from their position and have to rebuild themselves. This allows for LAV piloting skills or qualities that would make little sense on a character who can't even afford to own a the cheapest LAV possible. From there we cherry pick the minimum of what we need to make a believable character keeping mind both our goal and likely the characters Dreams. After this we use the remaining BP to flesh out the character. Finally I Flesh out the backstory and contacts and pick a name/streetname that seems appropriate.

To summarize, here are the approximately steps I use for making a character.

Goal Character Concept
Pare down concept to minimum necessary aspects of your character
Pick Negative qualities that enhance the character of your character
Fill out the rest of your character sheet.
Flesh out History/contacts
Name

Role, Race, Qualities etc... often are looked at twice once to see if it is necessary to your character and then again to flesh our with the BP you have left.

The reason I like this method is from the get go my character has a reason for what they are doing almost every second of game play. In the above example if a johnson sets me up on a job I know exactly why I'm risking my life for money and I know in the above case that if there ever come a time I can save money on a job and pocket it my character will because they need to buy about 30 million worth of goods before they have a chance of seeing their dreams. It makes choosing how your character reacts to any situation very obvious and enhances role-playing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Character Creation - Proper Order   Character Creation - Proper Order - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Character Creation - Proper Order
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Shadowrun Online :: General Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: